- This event has passed.
Discussion on ‘Will 2020 herald a new political equation in Bihar?’
October 20, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm UTC+5.5
Centre for Policy Research & Trivedi Centre for Political Data (Ashoka University) invite you to a discussion on: ‘Will 2020 herald a new political equation in Bihar?’
- Jeffrey Witsoe, Associate Professor, Union College, USA
- Sajjan Kumar, Author, and Independent Researcher
- Poulomi Chakrabarti, Assistant Professor, Queen’s University, Canada
- Neelanjan Sircar, Assistant Professor, Ashoka University and Senior Visiting Fellow, CPR
- Gilles Verniers, Co-Director, TCPD & Assistant Professor, Ashoka University and Senior Visiting Fellow, CPR
Register here. The session will also be live-streamed on CPR’s Facebook page.
About the Discussion
The upcoming Bihar election is an opportunity to reassess the political developments in the state since the 1990s. The politics of social justice that emanated from Bihar changed the political calculus across the north-India states. Many have argued that voters’ expectations are undergoing a sea change and identity issues are losing their pre-eminence. The rise of the BJP from a marginal player in the state to a frontrunner has brought created a high-powered election that defies easy interpretation of the nature of electoral competition in 2020.